Work on College Drive will continue for the next couple of days. Mayor Al McDonald says they have ordered the material and the culvert for the road, but he says a portion of the road could be closed up until early next week.
In what is shaping up to be an interesting social experiment, a robot is hitchhiking it’s way across Canada. This is a McMaster University research project examining interaction between humans and technology. The robot set out from Halifax on Sunday and you can track it by clicking on the website link below. Researchers are hoping the little rustbucket charms enough people to make it to Victoria, B.C.
North Bay Police have confirmed that barricades have been set up at the top and bottom of College Drive after the southbound lane was completely washed out by rain about halfway up the hill. Motorists can use Cedar Heights Drive. There’s no word on when the road will re-open.
Signs you’re from Northern Ontario
1.”Vacation” means going to Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec or Sudbury for the weekend.
2. Distance is measured in hours.
3. You often switch from “Heat” to “A/C” in the same day.
4. You know at least a few people who’ve hit deer or moose.
5. Down comforters are often used in the summer.
6. You’ve mastered the art of driving 100 km/h through four meters of snow during a blizzard, without flinching.
7. You carry jumper cables in your car and your kids know how to use them.
8. Your kids Halloween costumes are designed to fit over a snowsuit.
9. Driving is better in the winter because the pot-holes are filled.
10. You know both seasons: Winter and Construction
11. You’re wearing three sweaters, a parka, ski pants, a toque, two pairs of mittens, boots past your knees, there’s 3 feet of snow, it’s -35(-11,000 with windchill), your eye-lashes are frozen together, your nose is running, you can’t feel your toes and you still stop at Tim Hortons for an Iced Capp.
12. Skunk/Raccoon=Speed bump.
13. You actually understand these jokes.
When you think of Morgan Freeman, what comes to mind? An unbelievable actor, likely his role in ‘The Shawshank Redemption’ and a silky smooth baritone voice in which you could probably listen to for hours. Well, he was on the Tonight show with Jimmy Fallon this week… you’ve never heard Morgan like this before!
The Office of the Fire Marshal and city police will be investigating Tuesday morning’s fire at a home on the 300 block of First Avenue East. That’s the word from Chief Fire Prevention Officer Randy Vezina who says all the tenants were able to get out of the building.
I have to admit when I heard they were remaking Mad Max, I didn’t think there was any way they could top the original film, but this movie looks good. It stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron. Check it out here.
City fire crews were dispatched to a house fire on the 300 block of First Avenue East this morning (Tuesday). The call came in just before 4am.
A successful Mattawa Voyageur Days.
In their 25 seasons, The Simpsons have only ever crossed over once. The crossover happened back in 1995 in their 6th season when the Simpsons decided to hold a Film Festival in which film critic Jay Sherman (the Critic) is invited to be a judge. This fall, Family Guy and Simpsons fans will rejoice and finally bury the hatchet. In the Simpsons season premier, The Griffins from Family Guy travel to Springfield. The trailer for the season opener debuted at Comic Con in San Diego over the weekend.